MiDAS minibus driver training
Hackney Community Transport has over 20 years experience in training people to drive minibuses. We deliver regular training Minibus Driver Awareness Training (MiDAS) programmes from our facilities in Hackney.
If you are a Group Transport member in Hackney and you would like to self drive one of our minibuses, then, subject to these conditions, you will need a current MiDAS certificate to be able to do this. MiDAS is the national standard for minibus drivers in the voluntary and public sector.
The course is delivered by instructors who bring years of practical experience that will help you get the most out of your course. The course consists of a one day classroom session and a separate individual one hour on-road driving assessment.
Delegates have a choice of a standard MiDAS programme or, if they will be providing transport for wheelchair users or other vulnerable people, you can elect to take the optional Accessible MiDAS version of the programme.
The programme includes:
- Legal responsibilities of driving a minibus
- Safe and environmentally friendly driving techniques
- Vehicle familiarisation and checking
- The correct use of passenger lifts and wheelchair restraints (optional)
- A certificate valid for 4 years upon successful completion
What participants say:
- Very helpful and supportive. Great feedback and answered all questions required. Will really help me within my job as a PE teacher.
- This was a refresher for me, but I was reminded of many useful things.
- This reinforced disability awareness and the standards required of escorts and mini-bus drivers; as well as the application of the law on mini-bus driving.
- I particularly enjoyed the practical training on wheelchairs - fantastic to see it in action.
- Useful to learn the legislation for driving a mini-bus. The practical assessment really helped me to understand the workings of fastening wheelchairs.
- The content was very thorough.